Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Project Martha

Resource Consent Applications lodged for proposed new mine project

Representation Arrangement Review 2018

Have your say on our representation review

It's more than just a job

View our latest job vacancies and apply online.

Kerbside Collections

Week 1 begins Monday 16 July 2018

10/11/2017 12:00pm

Alcohol banned at Dickey Flat campsite

A permanent, year round ban on alcohol at Dickey Flat campsite has been approved by Council and comes into effect today.

The ban is the result of a wider review of Council’s Alcohol Control Bylaw, which outlines the rules around alcohol use in public places.

Mayor John Tregidga says the Council proposed the ban due to problems with booze fuelled crime and disorder at the campsite.

“There is definitely an issue with the behaviour of some Dickey Flat campers, which of course is made worse when alcohol’s involved, so we totally support the Police and Department of Conservation who want to see this become an alcohol free area,” he said.

Other decisions made by Council

After considering all community feedback:

  • A proposed year round alcohol ban in public places in Whiritoa was canned following an overwhelming response from the community. The existing seasonal ban during traditional Christmas and New Year periods will remain in place.
  • Current alcohol bans in public places in Waihi, Ngatea and Paeroa will stay in place.
  • The Waihi ban will be extended slightly to include the 100km/hr speed limit area on Parry Palm Avenue from Dean Crescent toward the town centre.
Just a reminder

Alcohol bans:

  • do not apply to the transportation of alcohol in unopened containers.
  • do not apply to social gatherings on private property.
  • are enforced by the New Zealand Police, not Council.


Alcohol Bans in the Hauraki District

View more information about Alcohol Bans in the Hauraki District

Alcohol Ban Dispensations

Dispensation to an alcohol ban can be sought from the Council for specific events where people may want to provide alcohol, e.g. for a wedding ceremony.

If a special alcohol licence has been issued for the sale of alcohol at an event, then dispensation to the Bylaw is automatically given and a further application for dispensation is not required.

View more information about Alcohol Ban Dispensations