Which Dogs must be registered?
All dogs 3 months and older must be registered.
Note: Trained Dogs used by the Visually and Hearing Impaired, Police and Army must also be registered, however registration for these dogs is free.
Further Registration Information
- Dog Control Policy and Bylaw
- Registration fees
- Dog Fees - Other
- What does registration pay for?
- Paying Dog Registration - including Pay by Credit Card
- Registration Forms
- Renewing dog registration
- Dog registration rebates
- Replacement tags
- Change of details
- Part of year registrations
- Dog new to District / Exchange tag
- Dog has died
- Number of dogs allowed
- Guide dogs
Hauraki District Council's Dog Control Policy and bylaws aim to promote the control of dogs and responsible dog ownership.
- Control of Dogs Bylaw - Part 3, Section 6 of the Hauraki District Council Consolidated Bylaw
- Dog Control Policy (49 KB)
- Dog Control Policy & Bylaw Brochure [PDF, 323 KB]
- Dog Registration Brochure [PDF, 330 KB]
Two Dogs to a Section
Only two dogs are allowed on a section in an urban area. If an owner wishes to have more, they will need to apply to the Council for Dispensation.
Dog registration fees cover one year from 1 July until 30 June. The following fees apply from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018.
|Dog Owner Classification||Registration Fee (incl GST)||Penalty fee if paid after 31 July||Fee If Paid After 31 July|
|Desexed (Vet Certificate required)||$69.00||$34.50||$103.50|
|Dogs in excess of three (3)||$27.00||$13.50||$40.50|
|Responsible Owner Licence (ROL) Dog*|
|Entire||$52.00||Loss of licence||$127.50|
|Desexed (Vet Certificate required)||$37.00||Loss of licence||$103.50|
|Entire||150% of general fee|
|Desexed (Vet Certificate required)||150% of general fee|
* Responsible Owner Licences (ROL) applications are accepted from 1 June 2017 to 15 July 2017.
PLEASE NOTE APPLICATIONS FOR THE (ROL) SCHEME CLOSE 15 JULY
To register a dog, the owner will need to fill out and sign an application form and lodge it with the registration fee at any of our Area Offices or by Mailing the Application Form and Payment to Hauraki District Council.
Hauraki District Council accepts Cash, Cheque, EFTPOS and now Online Credit Card payments.
|Sustenance Fee (additional charge)||$12.00
|Microchipping fee to be paid for unregistered dogs before release from the pound||$47.00|
|Consent to keep more than two dogs in an urban area**||$52.00|
|Responsible Owner Licence (ROL) application fee||$32.00|
|Transferred ROL inspection fee||$25.00|
|Replacement dog registration tag (for lost or damaged tags)||$5.00|
|** Refer to the Hauraki District Council Consolidated Bylaw Part 3: (Public Safety) for more information.|
Registration fees go towards the cost of Animal Control Services and the requirements of the Dog Control Act.
Some of the services are:
- Promoting better care and control of dogs
- Responding to dog control complaints
- Impounding of dogs and maintaining Pound Register
- Provide and maintain shelter/pound facilities
- Taking legal action against owners of unregistered dogs
- Implementing dog control policies on dogs
- Monitoring and enforcing the local Council dog control bylaws
Dog registration fees can be paid in the following ways:
- In Person - You can pay by Eftpos, cash or cheque at any of the Council offices and receive your tag(s) on the spot.
- Post - Please check, complete and sign the declaration on the front of the registration form and post with your payment to: Hauraki District Council, PO Box 17, PAEROA 3640.
- Electronic Banking - Full payment must be received and completed, signed registration form sent back in.
Hauraki District Council - Dog Registration Account No. 02-0396-0064018-004
Please include the following on your payment:
|(Dog Owner Name)||(Dog ID Number)||(Owner ID Number)|
This information can be found on your registration form.
Please note: If you pay by electronic banking, you still need to sign the registration form and return it to the Hauraki District Council. Processing of your payment will not be made until this form is received. Tag(s) will be posted once the payment has processed.
- Credit Card payments online - The Hauraki District Council can now accept credit card payments for your dog registrations. To use this service you must have received a dog registration form from the Hauraki District Council. For new or dogs transferred into the district please contact our office for further direction.
|Pay by credit card|
A convenience fee of 2.355% of your payment amount and 17 cents per transaction (including GST) applies. This applies to all credit card types. This is to cover the costs associated with accepting credit card payments.
To register your dog in the Hauraki District you will need to complete the Dog Registration Form [PDF, 455 KB] and take it with payment into one of our Council Offices to receive a registration tag for your dog.
See also ROL - Responsible Owner Licence
Customers can Renew their dog's registration at any of our Hauraki District Council offices where they will receive a registration tag on the spot.
If you would like to pay by mailing your payment we will post the registration tag to you within 10 working days of receipt of payment. Dog Registration Form [PDF, 455 KB]
Customers are entitled to a rebate on their dog registration if the dog is desexed.
If your dog is desexed, they must present a desexing certificate (or include a copy by mail) when registering for the first time.
Refunds can not be given on dogs which are desexed after they have been registered. The Rebate will apply the next registration year.
A penalty of 50% applies for all late payment of registration after the 31 July each year.
Replacement Tags (in cases of loss or damage) incur a fee of $5.00.
To purchase a replacement tag you will need to fill in a Replacement Tag Form(23KB) which you can obtain from any Hauraki District Council office. You can then post this form or present it in person with payment to receive a replacement tag.
For customers wanting to change of details such as name or address, please complete and return the following form:
or call into one of our Council offices and we can change these details at any time.
Please note that we will require positive identification to action these changes.
Full registration is required if the dog owner has had the dog in their care for that period.
New Registrations for new puppies or new dog to an owner made after the 31 July will incur a pro rata payment equivalent to the number of months remaining in the current registration year.
If a dog is currently registered with another Local Authority the owner must present proof of registration or the current Dog Tag and we will issue them with an exchange of tag for the remainder of the current year of registration, at no cost.
In the event that your registered dog dies you are entitled to a pro rata refund equivalent to the remaining months in the current registration year.
You will need to fill in the following forms Notification of Deceased or Transferred Dog(s) (24 KB) and Dog Registration Refund Form (23 KB).
You will need to forward this form with the Dog Tag or a Vets certificate of Euthanasia for us to action your refund request.
Please note that the refund is calculated from the time we receive formal notification.
The number of dogs allowed per property in Hauraki District is:
- Two(2) dogs for properties zoned URBAN - otherwise dispensation is needed
- No limit for properties zoned RURAL
- Fee for Dispensation is $52.00
To apply for dispensation complete the Dispensation Form (24KB) and the Dispensation - Neighbours Consent (21KB) that includes signed approval from the adjoining neighbours confirming they are happy for dispensation to be granted.
Once the application and payment is received, an Animal Control Officer will do the following:
- Check the applicant's details to check if there has been any history of complaints
- Then conduct a property inspection to ensure the property is suitable for a number of dogs
- Finally the Animal Control Officer will make a decision based on his/her findings
- The Council will then send a letter to the owner confirming dispensation
Please note that a permit may be revoked at any time if believed to be warranted by an Animal Control Officer.
Where more than three dogs are registered to an owner the fourth and subsequent dogs are registered at a reduced fee.
Trained Guide Dogs used by the Visually and Hearing Impaired must be registered.
Registration for trained guide dogs is free.