The ONYA Awards are a refresh and rebrand of our previously named Citizen and Young Achiever Awards.
Every year we hold an awards evening, where members of the community are acknowledged and celebrated for the incredible achievements and positive difference they have made within their communities through their outstanding dedication and community spirit.
It’s our way of saying Good OnYa – you’ve made a difference.
We wanted the name of the awards to reflect that. Just like the Oscars, we think the ONYA's will become instantly recognisable as the local award that celebrates the best of our community champions.
- for caring about your community - Individual award for service to the community
- for working together to make a difference - Community group award for service to the community
- for knocking it out of the park - Award for service or achievement in Sport or Recreation
- for enhancing and enriching our lives - Award for service or achievement in Arts or Culture
The Council's Special Awards Working Party will also decide the recipient of the OnYa - Tu Meke award, chosen from the successful nominees in the four categories.
- Tu Meke / for going above and beyond - Special award for outstanding service to the community
The services for which the nominee is recommended must be related to activity within the Hauraki District, or activity directly benefiting the Hauraki District.
A nomination may be withdrawn if, in the opinion of the Special Awards Working Party, the required standard has not been achieved.
An Award may recognise achievement, service or outstanding long term service to a community; or
Any other activity or action that is considered worthy of award by Council.
Forms will be made available when nominations are open.
- After presentation of a nomination by at least two nominators.
- After approval by the Council Special Awards Working Party.
The decision of Council is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Awards will be presented at a special Council awards event.
Awards will not be presented posthumously.