Cyclone Gabrielle Disaster Relief Fund
We have established a Limited Disaster Relief Fund to help our residents who were most affected by the cyclone in February 2023.
The Limited Fund is open to Hauraki residents who have suffered financially and/or emotionally and require financial support, as a result of the flooding event. Only one application will be considered per household.
The Limited Fund will provide a one-off hardship grant to affected residents, to go some way towards helping alleviate the emotional and financial stress experienced due to the cyclone.
Priority will be given to:
- Essentials of daily life (e.g. food, accommodation, utilities).
- Extra financial burden or costs due to the flooding.
- Family or personal crisis.
- Costs not covered by insurance or other fund, such as WINZ support.
Who can apply?
The fund is open to Hauraki residents who have suffered financially and/or emotionally and require financial support, as a result of the flooding event. Only one application will be considered per household.
In order to be eligible for the grant:
- At the time applicants apply they must be experiencing hardship as a result of the February 2023 cyclone event;
- Priority will be given to those who were a permanent resident (owner/occupier or occupier) or non-resident owner in the Hauraki District on 10th February 2023;
- Applicants should not be eligible for funding assistance from any other source for the same item/s, but they may still be eligible if that funding assistance has not substantially reduced the financial loss or hardship suffered.
What happens to money left over?
In the event that there is money left over, any unspent funds will go back to National or Waikato Emergency Management regional funds.
Can I apply if I have received insurance?
Yes. Insurance may not cover everything, but you will need to show what assistance you have received from insurance.
Can I apply if I don’t have insurance?
Can I apply if I have received other funding?
Yes, you may still be eligible if that funding assistance has not substantially reduced the financial loss or hardship suffered. If you have received other funding, other applications may be prioritised before yours.
Can I apply on behalf of my business or group?
No, this fund is open only to residents, not businesses or groups. There are other funds that are available to businesses and groups. Only one application per household will be considered.
What documents do I need to attach?
- Any documents that support your application by demonstrating that your loss or hardship is due to Cyclone Gabrielle
- A copy of an electricity account, phone account or bank statement showing your name and your usual residential address
- Details of the bank account you wish to be paid in (attach either a printed deposit slip, or a copy of a bank statement showing your name and account number)