Housing for the Elderly
The Council owns and operates pensioner flats at Paeroa, Waihī and Ngātea.
The Council will establish eligibility for tenancy according to the following criteria:
- Tenants MUST be at least 65 years of age. A person can apply before the age of 65, however will not be considered eligible for placement until they turn 65 years of age.
- Be a New Zealand resident or citizen.
- In the case of couples, one tenant must be 65 years of age or older.
- Applicants must be eligible to receive the Accommodation Supplement from the Ministry of Social Development (MSD). Tenants that cannot receive the Work and Income NZ (WINZ) Accommodation Supplement, generally means that they have too much money or income and should be renting in the private sector.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a genuine housing need.
- Applicants must be self-reliant or have the necessary support to live independently.
- Consideration will be given to the compatibility of the applicant with existing tenants.
- Tenants must be able to contribute constructively to harmonious community life within the complex. Disruptive, antisocial or threatening behaviour towards other tenants, their visitors, Council staff and their contractors will not be tolerated.
The Council acknowledges its role as landlord, and as such, will be accessible and diligent towards the general welfare of its tenants. This will not extend to the provision of social services (other than that to which Council has agreed to) to tenants, as these services are better provided by other professional service providers.
Independent living is defined as a person who is able to look after themselves and engage or manage any support services they require in order to live in the unit as it is presented at the start of the tenancy.
Support services can include assistance with personal care and cleanliness of the unit but cannot extend to the requirement of a full time or overnight/live in carer. A person who can live without presenting avoidable risk or harm to themselves or others.