Hauraki District Council
Waihi Ward Committee
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE WAIHI WARD COMMITTEE HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, WILLIAM STREET, PAEROA ON TUESDAY 13 MAY 2014 COMMENCING AT 2.30 PM
Crs H T Shepherd (Chairperson), P H Keall, M P McLean,A A Tubman and His Worship the Mayor J P Tregidga (from 3.00pm
Messrs S B Fabish (Community Services Manager), K D Thompson (District Engineer), Mr J McIver (Community Development Officer) and Ms C Black (Council Secretary)
THAT the apology for lateness of His Worship the Mayor, J P Tregidga be received and sustained.
WWC14/25 Shepherd/Keall CARRIED
COMMUNITY POLICING UPDATE
Police Officers, Snr. Sgt Rex Knight, Constable Harley North and Sergeant Aaron Fraser were n attendance to liaise on community policing matters.
- Groups of youths organising fight groups.
- The month of March/April generally showed an extensive range of crime and nuisance offending. It was noted that this is a trend usually found over the school holiday period.
- Business community feels threatened by groups of youths gathering in CBD particularly around the Councils new library/service centre building. It was considered that the free Wi-Fi available at the Library was attracting them to congregate at the location.
- Community meetings have been held to look at how the police can address concerns raised by the public:
- Higher visibility of Police in the CBD – police staff are monitoring youths after school behaviour particularly around retail area and moving them on.
- Liaison with the business community is being held regularly
- Engagement of Maori wardens
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
THAT the minutes of the meeting of the Waihi Ward Committee held on Tuesday 15 April 2014 are confirmed and are a true and correct record.
WWC14/26 Keall/McLean CARRIED
The Community Services monthly report on activities was presented for the Committee’s consideration.
THAT the Community Services monthly report be received.
WWC14/27 Tubman/Keall CARRIED
The meeting closed at 3.32pm.
H T Shepherd
10 June 2014