Hauraki District Council
Plains Ward Committee
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE PLAINS WARD COMMITTEE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, WILLIAM STREET, PAEROA ON TUESDAY 16 OCTOBER 2012 COMMENCING AT 9.00 AM
Crs G R Leonard (Chairperson), B A Gordon, D E Challis, G A Harris, and His Worship the Mayor J P Tregidga (from 9.05am)
Messrs S B Fabish (Community Services Manager), Ms T Nevin (Strategic Planner) and Ms C Black (Council Secretary)
THAT the apology of His Worship the Mayor, J P Tregidga for lateness be received and sustained.
PLWC12/63 Harris/Challis CARRIED
There were no late items.
The Mayor attended the meeting at 9.05am.
COMMUNITY POLICING UPDATE
NZ Police Officer, Andrew McCowatt was in attendance to liaise on community policing matters.
The following points were noted:
- Young offenders and out of town visitors causing issues of vandalism.
- Police requested that Council staff advise him of any vandalism no matter how small issues are as they happen.
- Generally crime in the area has been low but nuisance offending is still happening.
- Police advised of the change to the Police Call Centre on 8th October. All calls go through to Hamilton and are referred back to area Police Stations. All emergency calls and reporting are all to go through 111.
- The Community Services Manager suggested a monthly meeting be set up with police and Community Services staff to touch base and identify issues which need follow up. It would be of benefit that the notes taken from these meetings be reported back to the Ward.
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
THAT the minutes of the meeting of the Plains Ward Committee held on Tuesday 11 September 2012 are confirmed and are a true and correct record.
PLWC12/64 Harris/Tregidga CARRIED
MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Hauraki Plains College and District Rowing Club
Cr Gordon asked that the Ward Committee consider what level of funding the Ward is prepared to contribute to the Hauraki Plains and Rowing Club’s Pontoon and Jetty Project.
The Community Services Manager advised that the group have been supported by Council for the Resource Consent process.
The Mayor considered it is definitely a ‘district’ facility as students from other schools and sports people in the district interested in rowing would utilise it.
It was suggested that a decision on the Ward’s contribution of funding be delayed until Council considers it at the 17 October meeting.
The Community Development Officer’s monthly report was presented for the Committee’s consideration.
There were no requests for financial assistance.
THAT the Community Development monthly report be received.
PLWC12/65 Leonard/Gordon CARRIED
The Community Services monthly report on activities was presented for the Committee’s consideration.
THAT the Community Services monthly report be received.
PLWC12/66 Harris/Challis CARRIED
It was requested that staff investigate the matter of drainage on the Kaihere Domain.
Hugh Hayward Domain
Vandalism issues are being addressed this week.
It was advised that the tiling at the pool has been completed and painting is due to start shortly.
Waharau Dump Station
Currently awaiting response from Auckland City Council regarding the connecting the tank to the existing public toilet system.
Ngatea Pool Renewals - Ngatea Heat Pump Component Renewals
Gas usage is being reviewed by staff. It was suggested this be looked at when the Committee undertakes the bus tour of Ward sites and projects.
Ngatea Pool Replacement Seats and Signage
Options for pool seating replacement are currently being investigated by staff and it was suggested that the Committee visits the Ngatea poll when it undertakes the bus tour of Ward sites and projects.
Ngatea Hall Renewals – Chairs
The Community Services Manager advised that staff is looking at standardising all chairs for the three halls so they can be used at any of the halls and will all look the same.
Foyer – Supper Room
The internal walls and ceiling are to be painted.
Orchard Road Public Toilet
It was suggested that the toilets be reviewed when the Ward on the tour of the Ward.
Kerepehi Public Toilet Renewals
To be reviewed on Ward tour.
Patetonga Public Toilet
To be reviewed on Ward tour.
Ngatea Grandstand Renewals
Ngatea CBD Street Furniture Renewals
One seat and bench.
Mangatarata Layby Road Renewals
This work is scheduled for November. To be reviewed on Ward tour.
Ngatea Pool Opening Dates
Council’s decision to reduce the pools operating budget, in particular the heating costs, has resulted in a reduction of the swim season of four weeks. This year the pool would open on the 10th of November 2012 and close on the 10th of March 2013. It was requested that this date be approved.
THAT the pool be opened and heated for the public from the 10th November 2012 to 10th March 2013.
PLWC12/67 Harris/Challis CARRIED
Ward – Bus Tour
It was confirmed that the bus tour be undertaken of the Ward on Friday 2 November commencing at 9.00am from the Ngatea Office and returning at approx. 3.00pm.
Ward Estimates - Consideration of 2013/14 Annual Plan
A copy of the Ward estimates for consideration of the 2013/14 Annual Plan was circulated prior to the meeting.
THAT the report be received.
PLWC12/68 Gordon/Harris CARRIED
Key points raised:
- Councillor Gordon queried whether the $3,000 (6.5% changes) mentioned on page 2 for Kaiaua storm water is over and above the $80,000 budgeted, and if it is what was included for this increase.
- The Millennium Bridge – Staff needs to note that the bridge needs to be opened twice a year so it doesn’t seize, and also the Ward needs to decide whether this will ever be replaced. If not, then does depreciation need to be funded?
- Dudding Reserve – Is there a bin there? If not, don’t need to fund refuse collection.
- Kerepehi Playground – Staff have been asked to review depreciation, with the Ward members commenting that this seemed a bit high.
- Road Reserves Ngatea – mowing seems high; Staff has been asked to review.
- Recreational Reserves total – Staff have been asked to review.
- Recreational Reserves Town Centres – description needs to change as ‘washing’ is not correct as this includes sweeping and vacuuming. Support from the Ward for less washing and cleaning/sweeping instead with new machine.
- Pioneer Park – maintenance of the park to be lifted, but the Ward does not wish to spend more money in this area. Community Services Manager has been asked to consider how maintenance can be improved.
- Roading total – Staff have been asked to review.
- Ngatea Pool repaints - $13,765 – check is this is the pool or the buildings? If it is the pool, this could be pushed out a further year. – Community Services Manager was asked to investigate.
Kaiaua Public Meeting
The Community Services Manager advised that this public meeting has been publically notified and letters have gone out to all ratepayers advising of the meeting. He also advised that he will be presenting the staff report at the meeting. The Mayor, Crs Leonard and Gordon will also be in attendance.
Plains Community Newspaper Articles
Plains Profile Article – Cr Harris is to write for the next edition.
Kaiaua Compass – Cr Gordon is to write for the next edition.
The meeting closed at 10.26am.
G R Leonard
13 November 2012