Is a building or resource consent project on your wish list for Christmas?
The Building Act 2004, Resource Management Act 1991 and the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (that's a mouthful), all stop the statutory processing clock over Christmas and New Year.
Christmas deadlines for processing consents, special alcohol licences and LIMS are approaching fast.
We want to help take the stress out of your holiday season, so if you want an application processed before Christmas, you'll need to get a wriggle on.
Building Consent and Resource Consent processing times
By law, the consent statutory processing clock stops over Christmas and New Year
Normally, we have to process consents within 20 working days (or within 10 days for some resource consents).
The period from Friday 20 December 2019 - Friday 10 January 2020 is excluded from the 20 working day processing period.
This means new applications received after the clock has stopped on 20 December 2019, may not have their processing time start until Monday 13 January 2020.
Applications that are being processed near 20 December, may be paused, and processing will start again on Monday 13 January 2020.
There are a few things you can do to work with these timeframes
- For new applications, make sure you’ve included everything we’ve asked for in your application, as we can’t accept incomplete applications.
- When your application is complete, book a free pre-lodgement appointment with our Duty Planner and Building Officer as soon as possible.
- If your application is likely to be processed up to 20 December, please make allowances for the statutory shutdown period, if necessary, and let your agent or builders know too.
LIM Reports: In the market for a new property?
Don't miss out on your dream property. Please note these important dates over the Christmas/New Year shut down period.
- If you want a standard LIM (Land information Memorandum) report before Christmas, we’ll need your application by 5 December 2019.
- If you want an urgent LIM report before Christmas, we'll need your application by 16 December, but they do cost more than a standard LIM.
- Processing of applications received between 20 December - 10 January 2020 may only start on Monday 13 January 2020.
Special Alcohol Licences – make sure the party happens
If you’re planning to hold an event where you want to sell or supply alcohol over the Christmas and New Year period, then we must receive your Special Alcohol licence application by Monday 18 November, for it to be issued before Christmas.