Waihi Transfer Station – reopening 10am Friday 29 May
Now the first stage of our Waihi Refuse Transfer Station upgrade is done and dusted we’re reopening our gates. And what a transformation!
From Friday 29 May, normal opening hours will resume from 10am to 4pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Closed Monday 1 June, Queens Birthday
The station will be closed on Tuesdays, Thursdays and all public holidays, including Monday 1 June for Queen’s Birthday.
A great start but there's more to come
Work completed so far includes replacing damaged bitumen seal with new concrete surfaces to make the job of moving bins smoother and safer, as well as smartening up the area.
Other work to be done before the end of June (weather permitting) includes putting in a new white ware area, improving lighting, repairing fences and general streamlining of the existing layout.
Scrap metal area closed during upgrade
The scrap metal area remains closed while its upgraded. Scrap metal can be dropped at Paeroa Transfer Station. This area is scheduled for completion in June.
What can you take to Waihi Transfer Station during Level 2?
- Household and green waste can be accepted.
- Until 15 June, all recycling, except glass, will go to landfill. After that, recycling for cleaned plastics 1 & 2, paper, cardboard, aluminium cans and tin cans will resume.
- From 15 June, only cleaned plastics 1 & 2 will be accepted. Plastics 3-7 must go in rubbish bags
Level 2 protocols in place
To meet Covid-19 Level 2 protocols, the following measures are in place at the Waihi Transfer Station:
- Eftpos only, no cash sales.
- One in, one out traffic management with maximum of 15 minutes on site
- Contact details required for track and tracing
- No disposal charge for yellow council bagged rubbish, all other bags charged at usual fee.
- If someone in the household is sick, double bag your rubbish – only outer bag needs to be a council bag. If outer bag is not a council bag, usual disposal fee applies.
For more information go to www.hauraki-dc.govt.nz/refuse
Check out these before and after photos - what a difference!