Join the korero from 8am Friday 12 February – 4pm Friday 12 March 2021
Loveable gentle giant, Nico, our new face of all dog related news in our district (after taking out first place in our recent Hauraki’s Next Top Dog 2021 competition) has got the presence that the puppa-rattzi love, so we hope he’ll encourage everyone to get involved in our draft Dog Control Policy and Bylaw review consultation for 2021, focusing on some proposed new off-leash dog exercise areas.
There are currently 8 areas for off-leash dog exercise in the district. If you’re not a dog owner, you may not realise off-leash areas are a thing, but for dog owners with energetic pooches, they're essential.
So we’re proposing a few new areas and want to know what you think.
Are we barking up the right tree?
We held an online survey from 5 – 17 January 2021 asking if our existing dog exercise areas were meeting our furry friends' needs. We’ve listened to the feedback and are proposing the following changes:
- To remove Brenan Field, Paeroa as a dog exercise area.
- To include Leach Field, Paeroa as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a portion of Rotokohu Sport Ground, Paeroa as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a fenced off portion of Centennial Park, Paeroa as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a portion of Hugh Hayward Domain, Ngatea as a new dog exercise area.
- To include the fenced off area on River Road, Ngatea as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a portion of Kerepehi Domain as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a portion of Turua Domain as a new dog exercise area.
- To include a portion of Bank Street Reserve, Waihi as a new dog exercise area.
- To change the summer dates and times that dogs can be off leash at Whiritoa Beach. Off leash from 20 December to 9 February between the hours of 6pm and 9am.
Here's our current list of off-leash exercise areas.
Other feedback from the survey about more doggy-do bins and plastic bags, along with better signage will be considered separately as they're outside the scope of the Dog Policy and Bylaw.
What about other aspects of the Dog Policy and Bylaw?
You can comment on any aspect of the draft Dog Policy and Bylaw. All the policy documents and submission forms are available at We Must Talk. Once written submissions close at 4pm Friday 12 March, you can still make a booking to present your feedback in person at the Council meeting on Tuesday 30 March 2021, 1pm.
So if your pooch is itching to take more walks on the 'wild side', join the korero!