SceneryCarHouse fade

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Our Home. Our Future. Your Vote.

Ko te pae tawhiti whaia kia tata. Whakanuia tā mātou rohe. Pōti koa mai.

Enviro Matters

Waste minimisation and climate change information

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 14 October 2019

We need to talk

Check out the issues we’re currently seeking feedback on and tell us what you think.

Our Alcohol in Public Places Bylaw regulates the consumption or possession of alcohol in specified public places, for specified days, times and events. It contains rules around:

  • Locations and times where alcohol is banned, including maps of those areas
  • Temporary alcohol bans
  • How you get dispensation from an alcohol ban
  • The enforcement of the bylaw being the NZ Police

Alcohol in Public Places Bylaw 2017 [PDF, 1.3 MB] Adobe PDF document

Permanent Alcohol Ban Locations

There are permanent alcohol bans in place in the following locations:

  • Within the 50 kilometre speed limit areas of Paeroa.
  • Within the 50 kilometre speed limit areas of Ngatea.
  • Within the 50 kilometre speed limit areas of Waihi and the 70 and 100 kilometre speed limit areas of Parry Palm Avenue (from dean Crescent toward the town centre)
  • Dickey Flat campground, Waitawheta (campground is administered by the Department of Conservation).

There is also a seasonal alcohol ban in place at Whiritoa over the Christmas/New Year period and long weekends.

The maps below show the alcohol ban areas and are indicative only.  (Click on an image to open a larger view in PDF)

AlcoholBanPaeroa sm [PDF, 361 KB]   
Alcohol Ban Paeroa Area

AlcoholBanNgatea sm [PDF, 862 KB]   
Alcohol Ban Ngatea Area

AlcoholBanWaihi sm [PDF, 972 KB]   
Alcohol Ban Waihi Area

AlcoholBanDickeyFlat sm [PDF, 907 KB]   
Alcohol Ban Dickey Flat Area

AlcoholBanWhiritoa sm [PDF, 494 KB]   
Alcohol Ban Whiritoa Area

Alcohol Ban Dispensation

Dispensation to an alcohol ban can be sought from the Council for specific events where people may want to drink alcohol, e.g. for a wedding ceremony.

If a special alcohol licence has been issued for the sale of alcohol at an event, then dispensation to the Bylaw is automatically given and a further application for dispensation is not required.