Proposed Change 1 to the Hauraki District Plan
The purpose of Proposed Plan Change 1 (the Plan Change) is to remove impediments to affordable residential development and to provide for affordable housing options in a sustainable manner.
To achieve this, the Plan Change proposes fewer restrictions on development within some areas of the District through: amendments to the current subdivision and development standards for the residential zones, provision for minor dwelling units in the residential and rural zones, and less restrictive earthworks standards for the urban zones.
The Process So Far...
Proposed Plan Change 1: Rule Plan Change was publicly notified on 1 November 2018 with submissions closing on 30 November. A total of 34 submissions were received. Further submissions were called for on 15 February and closed on 1 March 2019. Only two further submissions were received.
The Council has delegated its authority to a Hearings Committee to hear, consider and recommend decisions on submissions to the Hauraki District Council.
The hearing of submissions on Proposed Plan Change 1 will take place on 9 May 2019, from 9am-11.30am and will be held in the Council Chambers at the Paeroa office of Council (William Street, Paeroa).
Proposed Plan Change 1 Documents
The Staff Report (below) addresses the matters raised in submissions/further submissions on Proposed Plan Change 1. The changes to the Plan as proposed are shown in red and additional changes as a result of submissions are shown in blue.
The proposed rule changes as notified can be found in each of the plan sections in Appendix A. The proposed changes are shown in red in the documents.
What Happens Next?
The proposed rules (as set out in the Plan Change) do not have legal effect until the Plan Change has been through the submissions process and decisions on those submissions have been made by the Council.
The Hearings Committee will hold a hearing on 9 May to hear and consider the points made in submissions. The Council will make the final decisions on submissions – likely to be in June 2019.
Following the release of decisions the new rules will begin to have ‘legal effect’ and if there are no appeals to the Environment Court, Plan Change 1 will be declared ‘operative’ and will replace the current rules in the District Plan.
Proposed Plan Change 1 Documents
- Plan Change 1: Rule Plan Change Hauraki District Plan – Section 32 RMA Evaluation Report [PDF, 787 KB]
- Appendix A: Proposed Rule Changes (“tracked change” version of District Plan Sections)
- Section 4 - Definitions [PDF, 452 KB]
- Section 5.1 - Rural Zone [PDF, 247 KB]
- Section 5.7 - Residential Zone [PDF, 216 KB]
- Section 5.8 - Low Density Residential Zone [PDF, 177 KB]
- Section 7.8 - Earthworks [PDF, 187 KB]
- Section 8.4 - Vehicle Parking, Loading & Access [PDF, 310 KB]
- Section 9 - Subdivision [PDF, 318 KB]
- Appendix B: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (February 2017) [PDF, 228 KB]
- Appendix C: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (October 2017) [PDF, 186 KB]
- Appendix D: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (March 2018) [PDF, 359 KB]
- Appendix E: Areas to which the Proposed Rule Changes Apply [PDF, 8.3 MB]
- Appendix F: Draft Hauraki District Growth Strategy [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Appendix G: Assessment of Proposed Rule Changes [PDF, 270 KB]
- Appendix H: Ngati Whanaunga Consultation Response [PDF, 220 KB]