Proposed Change 1 to the Hauraki District Plan
The purpose of Proposed Plan Change 1 (the Plan Change) is to remove impediments to affordable residential development and to provide for affordable housing options in a sustainable manner.
To achieve this, the Plan Change proposes fewer restrictions on development within some areas of the District through: amendments to the current subdivision and development standards for the residential zones, provision for minor dwelling units in the residential and rural zones, and less restrictive earthworks standards for the urban zones.
The Process So Far...
Proposed Plan Change 1: Rule Plan Change was publicly notified on 1 November 2018 with submissions closing on 30 November. A total of 34 submissions were received. Further submissions were called for on 15 February and closed on 1 March 2019. Only two further submissions were received.
The Council delegated its authority to a Hearings Committee to hear, consider and recommend decisions on submissions to the Hauraki District Council.
The hearing of submissions on Proposed Plan Change 1 took place on 9 May 2019 and subsequent to the hearing, the Report and Recommendation of the Hearings Committee was approved by the Council, on 26 June 2019.
The Council’s decision on submissions and further submissions was publicly notified on 12 July 2019 and appeals to the Environment Court are open to submitters until 23 August 2019.
What Happens Next?
Submitters are able to appeal Council decisions on their submissions to the Environment Court within 30 working days of service of the notice of decision by Council.
Assuming service of the notice of decision by Council on Friday 12 July, if submitters wish to appeal the Council’s decision on their submission the appeal should be lodged with the Environment Court on or by 23 August 2019.
Following the release of decisions on submissions, the new rules begin to have ‘legal effect’ and if there are no appeals to the Environment Court, Plan Change 1 will be declared ‘operative’ and replace the current rules in the District Plan. In the meantime, (until the appeal period closes) the Council has two sets of District Plan provisions to administer – the currently Operative District Plan provisions and the Proposed Plan Change 1 provisions.
Proposed Plan Change 1 Documents
The following documents are relevant to the Plan Change 1 process:
- Public Notice (12 July 2019)
- Council Decision Report [PDF, 815 KB] (26 June 2019)
- Council Decision Report Appendices [PDF, 1.2 MB] (26 June 2019)
Hearings Committee Report and Recommendation
- Hearings Committee Report and Recommendation [PDF, 706 KB] (18 June 2019)
- Hearings Committee Appendices [PDF, 1.3 MB] (18 June 2019)
Proposed Plan Change 1 Documents
- Plan Change 1: Rule Plan Change Hauraki District Plan – Section 32 RMA Evaluation Report [PDF, 787 KB]
- Appendix A: Proposed Rule Changes (“tracked change” version of District Plan Sections)
- Section 4 - Definitions [PDF, 452 KB]
- Section 5.1 - Rural Zone [PDF, 247 KB]
- Section 5.7 - Residential Zone [PDF, 216 KB]
- Section 5.8 - Low Density Residential Zone [PDF, 177 KB]
- Section 7.8 - Earthworks [PDF, 187 KB]
- Section 8.4 - Vehicle Parking, Loading & Access [PDF, 310 KB]
- Section 9 - Subdivision [PDF, 318 KB]
- Appendix B: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (February 2017) [PDF, 228 KB]
- Appendix C: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (October 2017) [PDF, 186 KB]
- Appendix D: District Plan Committee Discussion Paper (March 2018) [PDF, 359 KB]
- Appendix E: Areas to which the Proposed Rule Changes Apply [PDF, 8.3 MB]
- Appendix F: Draft Hauraki District Growth Strategy [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Appendix G: Assessment of Proposed Rule Changes [PDF, 270 KB]
- Appendix H: Ngati Whanaunga Consultation Response [PDF, 220 KB]