Corridor Access Request
First locate your underground services
It is essential that before you apply for a CAR to do excavation in the road corridor, you need to check the location of all underground pipes, cables and wires in the work site. You must also inform all Utility Operators affected of your intention to undertake work and seek approval where required.
Use the beforeUdig online service at www.beforeudig.co.nz to help locate and protect underground pipes, cables and wires in the area you are planning to work.
Apply for a CAR permit
Complete the online application via Submitica. If it's your first time using Submitica, you'll need to create an account first to log in.
Note: It doesn't cost anything to submit your plans via Submitica, however some Hauraki District Council Fees & Charges may apply based on your project.
A Car application may require additional information such as:
A Traffic Management Plan (TMP)
As from 1 April 2020 all TMP's submitted to us must be prepared by a qualified Temporary Traffic Management Planner (TTM). They can be found by doing an online search for Traffic Management Planners in your area.
A Site or layout plan
- It must be the clear and easy to read.
- It must be site specific and show the full extent of services to be installed, eg. in the footpath outside 2 First Avenue to 107 First Avenue.
When can work start?
Once our traffic management team has approved your CAR application, they will issue a Works Access Permit (WAP). This is your permission to undertake those works. Special conditions may apply, to which you are legally required to follow.
Remember, even if your CAR has been approved, work cannot start until your Traffic Management Plan has also been approved.
What inspections are required?
While you are working in the road reserve the traffic management team will make regular inspections to ensure that:
- efficient traffic flow is maintained on the road during the work,
- safety is maintained on the road and footpaths,
- the footpath/driveways are kept clean - free of construction materials and equipment at all times unless prior arrangements are made with the Corridor Manager,
- applicants must reinstate any work sites, once work has been completed, to its original state or comply with any special conditions set out by the Corridor Manager,
- all work is documented for future use.
What does it cost?
There are no fees to submit your online CAR application via Submitica or for the WAP inspections. However, other Council fees may apply. You will need to pay the person who prepares your Traffic Management Plan.