Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 5 December 2022

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project

Applications for alcohol licences (new, renewal, and variations) need to be notified to the public by publication of a public notice.

Instead of notifying applications in local newspapers, public notices will now be published on this dedicated webpage.

This is in keeping with the requirements of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

The register below will display the public notice start and end date for the making of public objections on an application. Details about objecting can be found below.

Applicants are also required to display a copy of the public notice on the front of the actual premises so it can be viewed from the outside.

If you have a query about an application, the public notice or the notification process, please contact Council on 07 86207609, or 0800 734 834 (from within the District). We can also arrange for a viewing of the application.

Please contact the Alcohol Licensing Team at Council for further assistance.

Current alcohol licensing public notices 

All public notices will remain on the website for at least 20 working days after publication. 

Date of Notification

Closing Date

Applicant Name

Business Name


Application and Licence Type

Public notice


19/12/2022 Watts the Grocer Ltd Four Square Paeroa 104 Normanby Road Paeroa Off Licence [PDF, 1.6 MB] Public Notice [PDF, 306 KB]


19/12/2022 Basraz Liquor Limited Super Liquor South Paeroa 135 Normanby Road Paeroa 3600 Off Licence renewal [PDF, 3.3 MB] Public Notice [PDF, 309 KB]

Objecting to applications

Members of the public have an opportunity to object to an application for an alcohol licence. Your objection must be in writing and must be sent to the Hauraki District Licensing Committee within 15 working days after the date of the first public notice.

Who can object

You have 'greater interest' in the licence application if you are likely to be more directly affected by the licence than most other people. This is called having status or standing. For example, if you live or work nearby the proposed premises you could be in a position of greater interest, or if you are a member of a community group/organisation that has concerns about the effects of alcohol on the community.

What you can object about

Your objections must relate to matters listed in Section 105 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. You must make specific reference to these matters in your letter for your objection to be valid.

Section 105, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

The Act defines good order and amenity as 'pleasant and agreeable'. Section 106 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 can also help us understand what good order and amenity covers.

Section 106, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

What to include in your objection

Your letter of objection must include:

  • the name and location of the proposed premises,
  • why you have an interest that is greater than the general public in the licence application,
  • your reasons for objecting, based on section 105 or 106 criteria,
  • your name, address and contact details, including email address. (Note: email is the preferred mode for communication).
Who will know about your objection

We must send a copy of all objections to the alcohol licence applicant. Applicants are allowed to know the basis of any objections so they can decide whether to change their proposal, continue with their application or prepare a response to the objections.

The reporting officers (Licensing Inspector, Police, and Medical Officer of Health officers) will also be provided a copy of all objections.

Objections or objector contact details will not be published or advertised. However, if you wish to appear and be heard at a public hearing then your name and the nature of your objections do become a matter of public record.

What happens to your objection

When we receive your objection we will send you an acknowledgement. Your objection will also be sent to the alcohol licence applicant.

We assess your objection to make sure it meets the criteria for consideration:

  • that you have an interest greater than the general public in the licence application, and
  • that your grounds for objection meet the criteria under section 105 or 106.

Once all statutory reporting agencies have reported, the licence application file will be forwarded to the District Licensing Committee for a decision, along with all objections received. The application and objections will then be considered at a public hearing.

When a hearing date has been set we will advise all those involved the hearing date, time, location and procedure for disclosure of evidence and submissions.

Where to send your objection

Send your objection to the Secretary of the Hauraki District Licensing Committee by post or email.

Post: PO Box 17, Paeroa 3640

Hauraki DLC hearing procedures

At the DLC public hearing, the DLC Chair will explain the order of proceedings.

The licence applicant or the applicant's agent begins proceedings by stating their case, giving evidence and calling witnesses in support of the application. The applicant should come prepared with a brief of evidence outlining their case. This brief of evidence should contain a summary as to why the application should be approved. The Police, Medical Officer of Health and Inspector follow with their matters of opposition or concern. Finally, the objectors have their say. All parties are given the opportunity to ask the witnesses questions.

Once the hearing is complete, the Hauraki DLC may reserve its decision. This means it retires to consider the material presented at the hearing and review the application. It may take up to 20 working days for a decision to be issued.