Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

COVID-19 Council Updates

Our services at Alert Level 2.

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 1 begins Monday 21 September 2020

Proposed Plan Change 4

View the proposed changes to the Operative District Plan

We Need To Talk

Opportunities to tell us your thoughts...

New mining proposal

New Waihi mining proposal shared with Council


Love Hauraki

Support Local



COVID-19 - what we're doing

We're back to alert level 2.

Changes to our services include physical distancing and hygiene measures, washing your hands and coughing or sneezing into your elbow.

Find out what's happening with our facilities, services and venues

Find information about coronavirus 

Under 18 parental consent requiredThere are four types of Alcohol Licence with various categories as listed below.


An On-Licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol from a specific premises to be consumed on the premises.  The categories are:

  • General
  • BYO
  • Caterers
Off Licence

An Off-Licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and deliver liquor from a specific premises to be consumed elsewhere.  The categories are:

  • On a licensed premises
  • Sale for delivery and sales at distance
  • Direct delivery
  • Auctioneers
Club licence

A club licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol to authorised customers for consumption on the premises. An authorised customer means a person who is a member of the club, a guest accompanied by the member or a member of another club with reciprocal visiting rights.

Special licence

A special licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol to people attending an event described in the licence. 

Special Liquor Licence applications must be lodged with Council at least 20 working days before the event.

The categories are:

  • On site
  • Off site

Applying for a licence or renewal of a licence.

The application shall be made on the prescribed form. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. See Alcohol Licensing Fees.

An applicant is required within 10 working days after filing an application, to give notice in the prescribed form Public Notice of application for On-Licence, Off-Licence or Club Licence - Form 7 (25KB) Adobe Acrobat PDF document  and attach this notice in a conspicuous place on or adjacent to the site.

Within 20 working days after filing an application public notice is required to be given.

Note that an application for a special licence is only required to comply with notification requirements prescribed by regulation or required by the secretary of the licensing committee.

District Licensing Committee Decisions

The District Licensing Committee (DLC) is responsible for all applications made under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, 2012, all manager's certificates, renewals and temporary authorities. DLCs also consider and determine applications for temporary licences and for the variation, suspension, or cancellation of special licences.

View the list of Decisions

Objections to an application

A person may object within 15 working days after the first public notice to the granting of a licence only if he or she has a greater interest in the application than the general public.

Granting of Application

The Hauraki District Council Licensing Committee decides applications for a licence but may refer an application to the authority. The Committee or the Authority may refuse to grant a licence even if the application is not opposed. The licence may be issued subject to conditions.

Building / Planning Certificates

An application for an On, Off or Club Alcohol Licence that relates to any premises must be accompanied by a certificate by the Hauraki District Council that the proposed use of the premises meets the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the building code.