Where can I exercise my dog on a leash?
Dogs on a leash are welcome in any public place within our district except where dogs are specifically prohibited.
Where is my dog not allowed?
- Children’s playgrounds and skate parks.
- Publicly notified defined areas of ecological sensitivity.
- Whiritoa beach – south of Moray Place beach access (significant NZ dotterel breeding site).
- Parts of Whiritoa Beach, including the lagoon (see dates/times below).
- Pa/urupā site, Ngati Koi Recreation Reserve (Black Hill Reserve), Waihi.
- The beach area from the district boundary at Pūkorokoro /Miranda to the southern boundary of Kaiaua.
- Hauraki Rail Trail:
- Ferry Road, Hikutaia, to Opukeko Stream Bridge, Paeroa.
- Ryall Road, Paeroa, to Matamata-Piako District Council boundary.
- Intersection of Rotokohu Road and Te Moananui Flats Road, Paeroa, to Bridge Street, Karangahake.
- Ohinemuri River footbridge at Victoria Battery, Waikino, to the northern side of the swing bridge (C-11), Waihi.
- Between Kopu bridge State Highway 25 and State Highway 25, Pipiroa.
- Between unsealed Buchanan Road, Pipiroa, and State Highway 25, Waitakaruru.
- From where the Trail crosses Front Miranda Road, through to the southern boundary of Kaiaua (50km speed limit sign).
Where can I exercise my dog off the leash?
|The 1 October opening date for our new off-leash dog exercise areas has been pushed out slightly due to Lockdown delays and the recent heavy rains which prevented planting of new grass seed. A new opening date will be announced soon. We apologise for any convenience. Our established off-leash areas are open as usual.|
There are many areas you can exercise your dog off the leash, as long as they are under control. The owner or a responsible person over 16 years old must have control of the dog and remain in the exercise area while the dog is running free.
The off leash dog exercise areas by Ward are:
- Brenan Field, Paeroa excluding the skate park and the sports fields.
- Leach Field, Paeroa from 1 October 2021.
- Stop bank land in Paeroa, between Criterion Bridge and William Street, excluding the carpark.
- River Road, Ngatea, fenced off area (previously used as a Council stock pound) from 1 October 2021
- Kerepehi Domain, fenced off area on the left hand side from the road from 1 October 2021.
- Turua Domain, area within the domain from 1 October 2021.
- Stop bank land in Ngatea between the 100/50 km/hr speed limit sign on River Road and the Waikato Regional Council pump station adjacent to Orchard West Road.
- Stop bank land in Ngatea between the corner of Orchard West Road and Kaihere Road to Puhanga Island Bridge, Kaihere Road.
- Public land between the northern boundary of the Waharau Reserve at Waharau and the southern boundary of the Wharekawa Recreation Reserve which is defined by the Waihopuhopu Bridge.
- Whiritoa Beach, including the lagoon, but excluding the southern end of the beach
- 20 December to 9 February the following year: 6:00pm to 9:00am the following day
All public holiday weekends: 6:00pm to 9:00am the following day
Note: Outside of these hours but within these dates, this area is prohibited to dogs
- 10 February to 19 December: 3:00pm to 10:00am the following day
Note: Outside of these hours but within these dates, dogs must be on a lead in this area.
- Waihi South Reserve, Consols Street, Waihi.
- Morgan Park behind the netball courts in Waihi, excluding the children’s playground and the sports fields.
Also view our Dog Control bylaw