Where can I exercise my dog on a leash?
Dogs on a leash are welcome in any public place within our district except where dogs are specifically prohibited.
Where is my dog not allowed?
- Children’s playgrounds and skate parks.
- Publicly notified defined areas of ecological sensitivity.
- Whiritoa beach – south of Moray Place beach access (significant NZ dotterel breeding site).
- Parts of Whiritoa Beach (see dates/times below).
- Pa/urupā site, Ngati Koi Recreation Reserve (Black Hill Reserve), Waihi.
- The beach area from Pūkorokoro /Miranda to south Kaiaua.
- Hauraki Rail Trail:
- Ferry Road, Hikutaia, to Opukeko Stream Bridge, Paeroa.
- Ryall Road, Paeroa, to Matamata-Piako District Council boundary.
- Intersection of Rotokohu Road and Te Moananui Flats Road, Paeroa, to Bridge Street, Karangahake.
- Ohinemuri River footbridge at Victoria Battery, Waikino, to the northern side of the C-swing bridge, Waihi.
Where can I exercise my dog off the leash?
There are many areas you can exercise your dog off the leash, as long as they are under control. The owner or a responsible person over 16 years old must have control of the dog and remain in the exercise area while the dog is running free. You can exercise your dog in the following areas:
- Stop bank land between Criterion Bridge and William Street.
- Brenan Field, excluding the skate park and the sports fields.
Ngatea and Waharau
- Stop bank land, Ngatea, between the 100km/hr speed limit sign on River Road and the Waikato Regional Council pump station, Orchard West Road.
- Stop bank land, Ngatea, between the corner of Orchard West Road and Kaihere Road to Puhanga Island Bridge, Kaihere Road.
- Public land between the northern boundary of the District at Waharau and the southern boundary of the Wharekawa Recreation Reserve at Waihopuhopu bridge.
Waihi and Whiritoa
- Waihi South Reserve, Consol Street.
- Morgan Park, behind the basketball courts only, excluding the children’s playground and sports fields.
- Whiritoa Beach, north of Moray Place beach access, including the lagoon:
- 20 December to 1 March and including all public holidays weekends throughout the year between 7pm to 9am.
- 2 March to 19 December, but excluding public holiday weekends, only between 3pm to 10am.
Also view our Dog Control bylaw