Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 30 January 2023

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project


warning icon grey


Hauraki District Council responds to complaints about smoke nuisance ie smoke getting into a house or over washing, but not complaints about air pollution – such as burning tyres or plastic, giving off toxic fumes – For these issues please contact Waikato Regional Council (24-7 Freephone 0800 800 401) 

Wanting a fire permit?

The Council no longer issues fire permits. Visit the Fire Emergency NZ website  

Fire Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) now set fire seasons, issue fire permits and deal with the removal of fire hazards, including vegetation. 

Current fire status

fire open      Open Fire Season -  No fire permit is needed to light a fire in open air


Find your urban or rural fire status and Check It’s Alright Before You Light


Status definitions

What the signs mean...

fire open      Open -  No fire permit is needed to light a fire in open air

fire restricted      Restricted - A permit is needed to light a fire in open air in this area

fire prohibited Prohibited - There is a total ban on the lighting of any fires in open air in this area

For specific details please go to the Fire Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) website - Check It’s Alright Before You Light


Hauraki District Council does not issue fire permits. Before you light any fires out in the open on your property, you’ll need to find out about the current fire season and what the requirements are.

Check it’s alright before you light

Check it’s alright before you light with the Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) tool at -

  • map - locate Hauraki District on the FENZ map,
  • fire season - check the season status and
  • permit - apply for a fire permit if required.

Reporting issues

If there is a threat to life or property CALL 111

Smoke nuisance

If you have a complaint about a smoke nuisance from a neighbouring property, please call our customer services team on 0800 734 834.

Fire hazards

If there's a property in your neighbourhood that you believe is a fire risk due to an unkempt section, you might first try talking to the property owner. If the issue is not resolved, you can let Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) know about your concern by completing the online form available on the FENZ website or calling 0800 336 942.

Please note that Fire and Emergency is only able to take action to deal with genuine fire hazards, and not where the property is just unsightly or presents a health hazard.

If it is a problem such as hoarding and other nuisance issues including vermin, please contact the Council.