Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 5 December 2022

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project

Food safety

Businesses selling and trading in food

All businesses selling and trading in food more than once a year must be registered

Your business will operate under one of the following:

  • Template Food Control Plan - people who manufacture and prepare food 
  • National Programme 3, e.g. Retailers that handle food but do not prepare it such as service stations. 
  • National Programme 2, e.g. Food service provider to preschool children.
  • National Programme 1, e.g. coffee carts 
  • Custom Food Control Plan - Register with Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) not Council.
How to apply

If you are a new food business or are a current business who is transitioning to the Food Act 2014; you will need to complete an application form, a scope of operations and sign an agreement to verify. These can be submitted to Council electronically by email -

Please ring and discuss your food business with a Food Act Verifier if it is a home based business, new premises or if you wish to clarify anything. 07 862 8609 or 0800 734 834 (from within the District)

How often to register

If you operate under a template Food Control Plan, then you will need to register each year on the anniversary of the registration expiry. However if you operate under a National Programme then you only need register every two (2) years. There is a fee for registration. 

How often your food premises Food control plan or National Programme is verified (audited) depends on the food you sell and how well you manage food safety. For example a Food Control Plan is verified annually but that time frame could be increased to 18 months or decreased to 9 or 6 months. A National Programme 3 for example is normally verified every 2 years. There is a separate fee based on an hourly rate.

You may choose an independent verifier if you do not wish to use a Council verifier to carry out the verification.

Fees and charges

View the fees and charges for food premises

Food stalls - mobile shops

If you want to sell food from a stall or mobile shop(hawker) then you will also need to talk to Council about getting a licence to trade in a public space.

Application for Hawkers / Itinerant Traders / Stall Licence to trade in a public place - Application to trade in a public place [PDF, 125 KB] pdf.gif

Non-profit organisations selling food

Non-profit organisations selling food less than 20 times per year are not required to register and complete paper work. For example a school baking cakes for a cake stall at a gala event does not need to fill out any forms and register as long as they keep below the 20 events per year. Exceeding the 20 events per year is considered to be a commercial operation and they would need to register with Council.

Council however would still like organisers of events to advise their non-profit organisations to seek advice from Council (by way of pamphlets handouts) and the Ministry for Primary Industries web site on how to handle and prepare safe food on the day.

Useful Information

 For further help email Ministry for Primary Industries

Also View