Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 5 December 2022

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project

Most of us need the services of a Justice of the Peace (JP) at some time – to certify copies of documents, witness a signature on a document, or perhaps complete an affidavit or declaration. 

Free Service

Connecting with JPs is easy thanks to weekly 'clinics' held in Waihi and Ngatea. The service is free, and people are welcome to drop in, although 30-minute appointments can be made at the service centres or by phoning the Council (except where otherwise stated).

Previously, residents have needed to make direct individual contact with JPs who may not be available at a given time. So while private arrangements are still an option, the clinics have been initiated by local JPs to establish a regular time and place for their services to be offered and cut the necessity to visit a JP at his or her home or workplace.

It is helpful if clients are suitably prepared, for instance: by bringing a form of photo ID in case it is needed, and bringing original documents as well as copies if the copies need to be certified. Documents should not be signed beforehand.

Weekly Clinic in Waihi

The weekly JP clinic in Waihi is held in the Council’s Waihi Service Centre and Library. Each Monday, a JP service is available to members of the public between 11.00am and 1.00pm.

Weekly Clinic in Ngatea

Ngatea also holds a weekly JP clinic at the Council's Ngatea Service Centre.  Every Tuesday a JP will be available to members of the public between 12.00pm and 1.00pm.


There are no weekly JP clinics held in Paeroa. To contact a JP in the Paeroa area please refer to the website of the Royal Federation of NZ Justices' Associations.


Appointments for the Waihi or Ngatea JP clinic can be made at the service centres or by phoning the Council on 0800 734 834 (free call from within the District) or 07 862 8609.

Contacting a JP directly

If you would prefer to contact a JP directly but don't know where to find one, you can look on the website of the Royal Federation of NZ Justices' Associations