Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 30 January 2023

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project


There is increasing noise in the environment and this is a result of the increasingly industrialised society in which we live.

Noise in the workplace is the responsibility of the employer.

Noise from individual vehicles is the responsibility of Police.

Environmental noise is controlled by Council. Environmental noise can be classified as unreasonable noise and excessive noise.

Unreasonable Noise

Noise that may be controlled could include a land based activity such as a factory. In most cases there are rules set out in the District Plan which defines what is an acceptable level of noise. Generally a series of measurements is required to determine if the noise exceeds the rule. Council has staff who are trained in the assessment of noise and in investigating noise problems.

To make a complaint contact the Environmental Health Officer on 07 862 8609 or 0800 734 834 (all hours).

Excessive Noise

Noise that may be controlled includes noise from stereos, bands and other similar activities.

To make a complaint about this type of noise call 07 862 8609 or 0800 734 834 (all hours).

The noise control officer will attend the locality, listen to the noise and form an opinion on whether or not the noise is excessive. If in the officers opinion the noise is excessive, an Excessive Noise Direction will be issued. This requires the offender to stop making the noise for a period of up to 72 hours. If the noise starts again or continues after a direction has been issued the officer can enter the premises with the Police and remove the noise making equipment.

Noise Control Fees

Pursuant to Section 333 of the Resource Management 1991 Council is able to set a fee for the costs incurred when seizing equipment that is the source of justified noise complaints.

Council's policy is that for the first impounding of such equipment a fee of $210.00 is payable before the equipment can be collected.

Seizure of items under Resource Management Act 1991
Fee (including GST)
First Impounding - payable before the equipment can be collected  $210.00
Second impounding - equipment not returned at all  N/A


Noise Control infringement fees
Fee (including GST)
Failing to adhere to an excessive noise direction  $500.00
Failing to adhere to an abatement notice for unreasonable noise  $750.00

How can I be a good neighbour, yet still make some noise?

The key is to be considerate to your neighbours!

Some things to keep in mind include:

  • Inform neighbours in advance about any planned parties, or invite your neighbours to join the party. Remember though, if you do this, it is not a "pass" to make excessive noise. 
  • Minimise noise from your property by keeping the doors and windows closed. 
  • Reduce the noise at a reasonable hour of the evening - particularly when neighbours are sleeping later in the evening. 
  • Don't start noisy equipment such as lawnmowers and chainsaws early in the morning or late in the evening (wait until after 8 am or before 8 pm). 
  • Ensure burglar alarms cut off within 20min. 
  • Ensure car alarms are installed correctly and are not over-sensitive or faulty.