The Hauraki District Council provides and administers sports fields and recreational reserves to encourage and facilitate the community’s well-being, by catering for its recreational, sporting, leisure and cultural needs.
Please be aware of the areas where dog restrictions apply. See more about dogs in our parks and reserves.
Operators of Drones or Remotely Piloted Aircraft now have to seek permission to fly above people and property, including Council owned parks, reserves, road reserves, roads and properties throughout the Hauraki District. Find out what you need to know and how to seek permission.
Sports grounds are principally used for the pursuit of organised sport and include rugby fields, touch rugby fields, astroturf hockey field, netball courts, soccer fields, tennis courts, athletic tracks, lawn bowls greens, cricket pitches, croquet greens, skateboard ramps and a petanque court.
Sports fields are provided at the following venues:
- Morgan Park, Waihi
- Whiritoa sport and recreation reserve, Whiritoa
- Rotokohu Soccer Fields, Paeroa
- Paeroa Domain
- Centennial Park / Brennan Field, Paeroa
- Hugh Hayward Domain, Ngatea
In addition, the Council provides, maintains and administers reserves throughout the District for recreational use. The main recreational use of these reserves is for activities such as walking, picnicking, kite-flying and similar low-key pursuits. These reserves are provided at a number of venues including:
- Gilmour Reserve, Waihi
- Victoria Park, Waihi
- Whiritoa Beach Reserves, Whiritoa
- Karangahake Reserve, Karangahake
- Primrose Hill, Paeroa
- Railway Reserve, Paeroa
- Leach’s Field, Paeroa
- Ohinemuri Park, Paeroa
- Tilbury Reserve, Ngatea
- Dudding Reserve, Ngatea
- Ray’s Rest, Kaiaua
Play equipment for children is provided in some parks and reserves, which is maintained to a standard to meet health and safety requirements.
- Morgan Park Waihi
- Victoria Park Waihi
- Gilmour Reserve, Waihi
- Whiritoa Playground
- Railway Reserve Playground Paeroa
- Paeroa Domain Playground, Paeroa
- Edwards Place Playground, Paeroa
- Pioneer Park, Hugh Haywood Domain, Ngatea
- Kaiaua Pirate Ship Playground
- Kerepehi Playground
- Turua Playground
- Morgan Park Skate Park, Waihi
- Victoria Skate Park, Waihi
- Paeroa Skate Park, Railway Reserve
- Paeroa Skate Park, Norwood Road
- Ngatea Skate Park, Hugh Hayward Domain
- Whiritoa Skate Park, Sport and Recreation Grounds
Dog Control Areas
There are certain areas within the Hauraki District where dogs are restricted (on-leash only) or prohibited as part of our bylaw. If you have a dog with you it's your responsibility to look for dog control signage.
For a full description including maps of prohibited areas please view our Dog Control Bylaw.
Clean Up After Your Dog
Let’s keep our public places clean for everyone to enjoy. Failure to remove your dog’s droppings from public areas is an offence against our bylaw and carries a fine.