We're replacing the footpath in the Ngatea town centre on both sides of State Highway 2 from Pipiroa Road to Kaihere Road.
Schick Civil Construction has been contracted to do the work. We estimate the upgrade will take about 10 weeks, depending on the weather and other factors outside of our control.
- There will be someone on site to manage the construction process and liaise directly with affected business owners and the general public as work progresses.
- Usual hours of work will be from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and Saturdays from 7:30am to 1pm, except when we are pouring concrete or doing other work to minimise disruption during normal business hours.
- We're also upgrading vehicle crossings in the town centre as we go. We’ll give business owners at least 48 hours notice before construction starts on their crossing and where possible we'll keep one of crossing available to traffic at all times.
- We'll protect property/shopfront windows during concrete pours to avoid any splashing.
- We've based the footpath design and materials on your feedback.
- Practical makes perfect. We heard that you want to use simple robust and local materials with coloured inlays in selected areas.
- We've had to be practical about our available budget but, once we’ve got the basics right, we'll look at options for more streetscape work, and how it can be funded, further down the track.
Indicative project programme
Note - this programme is an indication only and is subject to change.
- View the Project programme [PDF, 292 KB]
How we're minimising disruption
We'll do everything we can to minimise disruption and maintain access to businesses during the works, including visiting business owners individually to form a plan that works for them. Examples of the kind of things we can do include pouring concrete in the late afternoon/evening outside of peak business hours and placing protection over it during the day to allow customer access.
Unfortunately, some things can’t be avoided.
At times, we'll need to close sections of the footpath for safety reasons. We’ll also have to close some car parks from time to time. We’ll work with businesses to do this in a way that causes the least disruption possible.
How we'll keep you updated
- We'll send out a weekly update e-newsletter every Friday. Sign up to our e-newsletters.
- Or follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/haurakidistrictcouncil.
Please be kind, courteous and respectful to our crews and remember they are doing their best to get the job done as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
For urgent enquiries or to report safety issues phone us on 0800 734 834.
We appreciate that this project may at times cause you inconvenience and frustration. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work hard to get the job done.
Work expected to start 5 October 2020.
Work expected to take 10 weeks to complete.