COVID-19 - what we're doing
We're back to alert level 2.
Changes to our services include physical distancing and hygiene measures, washing your hands and coughing or sneezing into your elbow.
Find out what's happening with our facilities, services and venues
Find information about coronavirus
The Rates Rebate Scheme was established to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners. Perhaps you may be eligible for a $655 rebate on the cost of your rates. Strict eligibility criteria apply.
Am I eligible for a Rates Rebate?
To determine if you are eligible for a rates rebate please see the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs website. Forms to apply for a rates rebate are also available to download from that website.
How do I apply for a Rates Rebate?
There are two ways you can make an application - in person or by mail.
We have found the most efficient way to apply for a rates rebate is to complete the application with the assistance of a customer services officer at one of our Council offices. The appointment will only take 15 minutes and the customer services officer is authorised to witness your signature on the declaration section of the application. Every endeavour is made to ensure that these short interviews are friendly and private.
For anyone physically impeded from coming to the Council, home visits are available by arrangement. Council staff really will go the extra mile to assist!
Contact us for an appointment.
What to bring
Wage or salary earners should bring to the appointment a summary of earnings for you (and that of any spouse/partner and/or joint owner living with you on 1 July 2020) and a bank interest statement, for the tax year ended 31 March 2020. Self-employed workers need to supply an income and tax summary from the IRD or an accountant. No documents are required from those on a benefit, as the Council will be able to access the relevant information on their behalf.
Those applying for a rates rebate must normally live at the relevant property as at 1 July 2020; and must sign a statutory declaration. The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.
Apply by Mail
You may also make an application by mail.
You will need to:
- read all the information you need about Rates Rebates on the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) website
- download an application form from the DIA website
- complete all sections
- sign and date the declaration on the application, with your signature witnessed by an "authorised person". Authorised people include:
- Authorised Council officer, available at our Council offices.
- Member of parliament
- Minister of religion
- Justice of the Peace
- Chartered accountant
- Court registrar or deputy registrar
What you will need
When applying for a rates rebate you will need:
- Your rates notice for 2020/21 from Hauraki District Council and your Waikato Regional Council Rates for 2020/21.
- Summary of earnings for you (and that of any spouse/partner and/or joint owner living with you on 1 July 2020) and a bank interest statement, for the tax year ended 31 March 2020.
- An authorised person (listed above) to witness your signature on the declaration on the application.
Post your application to:
Hauraki District Council
PO Box 17
Enquiries can be made at any of our Council offices or by email to email@example.com