Who is responsible for paying water rates accounts?
The property owner is responsible for paying water rates accounts, as per the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. Therefore in in the case of a rental property it is the landlord's responsibility to ensure payment of the account is received by Council.
Water Supply Rate
Council sets an annual charge per connection to a water supply on each rating unit and a water volume rate per unit of water supplied to each rating unit, based on location and level of service provided.
Water supply rates are billed separately twice yearly on varying dates in the various water supply areas. View the instalment dates for your water supply area
The current water rate in Hauraki is targeted per cubic meter as per the table below plus a $124.22 (including GST) annual supply charge.
Water Volume Rate
|$124.22 annual charge||+||per cubic meter of water supplied
(see the table below for rates per cubic meter)
(per cubic metre of water supplied) including GST
|One||All rating units connected to the Paeroa, Plains and Waihi water supplies according to a scale of stepped charges:
- Base Rate - Consumption up to 200 cubic metres
- Step One - Consumption between 200 and 400 cubic metres
- Step Two - All consumption over 400 cubic metres
|Two||All rating units connected to the Kaimanawa water supply.||$1.57|
|Three||All rating units connected to a Council raw water main that receives completely untreated water.||$0.73|
|Please note: these fees apply until 30 June 2021|
An Extraordinary Water Use rate is charged for purposes other than permanent metered connections, such as tankered water and contractor use of hydrants. The rate is $4.02/m³ (incl. GST), 2 times the current urban treated water rate.
A permit must be applied for:
How Can I Pay My Water Rates?
Rates can be paid by:
- Credit Card
- EasyPay (Direct Debit) - find out more
- Automatic Payments - find out more
- Internet & Telephone Banking - find out more
Credit Card payments online - The Hauraki District Council can now accept credit card payments for your water rates. To use this service you will need to have both your account number and your valuation number which you will find on your Water Rates Tax Invoice. Further instructions are available once you go to 'Pay by credit card' below.
|Pay by credit card|
Payments by credit card will incur an additional charge of 2.355% plus 17 cents per transaction (including GST). This applies to all credit card types. This is to cover the costs associated with accepting credit card payments.
Water Rates Due Dates
Water supply targeted rates are by way of two instalments per year for those rating units that have received less than 10,000kl over the last two billing periods. Those rating units who have used more than 10,000kl over the last two billing periods, will be billed bi-monthly.
Instalment dates are staggered throughout the year. Refer to our water rating maps to view the various reading areas. Also available is a list of rating units (over 10,000kl as described above) by assessment number. These rating units will be billed bi-monthly.
|Instalment Number||Reading area||Instalment date||Last date before
penalty Penalty added
|26 August 2020||28 August 2020|
|One||2||Turua & surrounds
|30 September 2020||2 October 2020|
|One||3||Waitakaruru & Ngatea North
|28 October 2020||30 October 2020|
|One||4||Kerepehi & Ngatea South
Ohinemuri & Kaimanawa
|25 November 2020||27 November 2020|
|One||5||Netherton||30 December 2020||3 January 2021|
|27 January 2021||29 January 2021|
|24 February 2021||26 February 2021|
Turua & surrounds
|31 March 2021||2 April 2021|
|Two||3||Waitakaruru & Ngatea North
|28 April 2021||30 April 2021|
|Two||4||Kerepehi & Ngatea South
Ohinemuri & Kaimanawa
|26 May 2021||28 May 2021|
|Two||5||Netherton||30 June 2021||2 July 2021|
|28 July 2021||30 July 2021|
Instalment dates for rating units billed bi-monthly:
|Instalment Number||Instalment date||Last date before penalty|
|One||20 August 2020|
|Two||20 October 2020||29 October 2020|
|Three||20 December 2020|
|Four||20 February 2021|
|Five||20 April 2021||29 April 2021|
|Six||20 June 2021|
Water supply targeted rates penalties for late payment
The following penalties will be applied to water supply rates:
For rating units billed twice a year:
- an additional charge of 5% will be added to all current and previous years’ rates outstanding on the day following the last date for payment of the first instalment (as described above)
- an additional charge of 5% will be added to all current and previous years’ rates outstanding on the day following the last date for payment of the second instalment (as described above).
For rating units billed bi-monthly:
- an additional charge of 5% will be added to all current and previous years’ rates outstanding on the day following the last date for payment of the second instalment (as described above)
- an additional charge of 5% will be added to all current and previous years’ rates outstanding on the day following the last date for payment of the fifth instalment (as described above).
See also: Water Meter Information