COVID-19 – what we’re doing
We are now at alert level 1.
Our services have returned to normal but it’s important we keep up with basic hygiene measures including washing your hands and coughing or sneezing into your elbow.
Find out what’s happening with our facilities, services and venues
Find information about coronavirus
Our solid waste services consist of the minimisation, collection, and disposal of solid waste. These services involve kerbside collection of rubbish and recyclables, and the management of two refuse transfer stations located in Paeroa and Waihi.
Rubbish Disposal Sites
Procedure at our Rubbish Disposal sites:
- EFTPOS only. No cash sales.
- One in, one out. Please be patient if delays occur.
- Maximum 15 minutes on site. Please keep two metre physical distancing.
- Name and phone number must be provided for track and trace purposes.
Rubbish and recycling
- From 15 June, recycling for cleaned plastics 1 & 2, paper, cardboard, aluminium cans and tin cans will resume. Plastics 3-7 must go in rubbish bags .
- Green waste can be accepted.
- All glass goes into the glass bottle bank.
- No cost for rubbish or recycling in pre-paid yellow bags, all other bags will be charged at usual disposal fees.
- If someone in the household is sick, double bag your rubbish – only outer bag needs to be a council bag. If outer bag is not a council bag, usual disposal fee applies.
Paeroa Refuse Transfer Station
Open: 12:30pm to 5:30pm
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
Closed: Wednesday and all Public Holidays
- Scrap metal can be dropped off at Paeroa Refuse Transfer Station.
Waihi Refuse Transfer Station
Open: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Closed: Tuesday, Thursday and all Public Holidays
- Scrap metal can’t be accepted yet, as area still closed for upgrades. Scrap metal can be dropped at Paeroa Transfer Station.
Charges apply for the disposal of all rubbish (not including items separated for recycling). View the Disposal Charges
Kerbside Rubbish & Recycling Collections
Place your rubbish and recycling at the kerbside before 7:30am
Please note: On any week where there is a public holiday on a normal collection day all rubbish collections for that week, from that day, will be a day later than the normal, except for the first week in January, New Years 2019. This will be advertised on our Facebook page, our website (public notices and homepage banner) and in the local newspapers. Scheduled delays to collections are also noted in the Kerbside Collection Calendar.
What can go in your recycling wheelie bin?
Items that can go in your recycling wheelie bin are:
- Plastics 1 and 2
View the FAQs for the change in plastics recycling
What Goes in the Blue Crate?
Glass only - empty glass bottles and jars (clear, amber, blue and green).
Find out more: What Items can be Recycled
What Week Is it?
If you've lost track of what week it is, look it up on the kerbside recycling calendar.
Yellow HDC Rubbish bags
The cost of purchasing a rubbish bag represents the costs for the kerbside collection and disposal of the rubbish. Rubbish bags can be purchased from Council offices and local supermarkets. View the purchase price of the yellow HDC rubbish bags.
Bins & Crates
Place your clean recyclable glass into the blue crate.
Place clean - plastic (1 and 2), tins/cans, paper and cardboard - into the wheelie bin. See more about what items can be placed for recycling in the wheelie bin and crate.
Place your crate and your wheelie bin out on the kerbside by 7:30am. Make sure the front of the wheelie bin is facing the road (wheels are at the back) and the lid is closed. The truck's mechanical arm needs room to pick up the bin so place it at least half-a-metre (same as the bin's width) away from other objects.
What Items Can be Recycled?
Only CLEAN materials will be accepted for recycling in the Transfer Stations and at the Kerbside.
Glass, plastic (1 and 2), tins/cans, paper and cardboard.
See what can or cannot go into your wheelie bin and blue crate. Find out What Items can be Recycled
If your bin is damaged or stolen, contact us to order a replacement bin. Parts can also be replaced if they become damaged.
View the cost of bin or parts replacement.
It's a good idea to label your bins with your address to avoid any ownership issues.