Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 5 December 2022

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposals

See more about the project

Development contributions help to pay for growth-related infrastructure like a larger Council water reservoir to supply water to a development. When someone applies for consents or connections for development (such as subdividing land or undertaking building work) they will need to pay money to fund growth related infrastructure. We pay operational and maintenance costs through rates and other revenue streams, not with development contributions.

Read about the...
Get in touch

To find out whether you are required to pay a development contribution on your project and get an estimate for the amount, contact the Development Engineer via email at  or 07 862 8609.

How are development contributions calculated?

Development contribution amounts come from our past and future spending on infrastructure that offers space for further growth. We calculate the amount of capital expenditure that is being caused by, or is of benefit to, new development and growth. We then divide this expenditure by the amount of development that is expected to take place. A development contribution is payable for each additional ‘unit of demand’ created for the services provided in the area or ‘catchment’ in which it falls. 

When a building has been removed or demolished, a ‘credit’ for one unit of demand will apply to the site and the amount will be offset against any future development of the site.

How much will I have to pay?

The development contributions you will be required to pay depends on the type of development you are undertaking and where it is located. For example, if you are developing in an area with no Council water supply then you will not be charged for that infrastructure component of the development contributions. Reduced units of demand are applied to certain development such as the retirement sector and units/accommodation with one bedroom or less, because they create less demand on infrastructure. This means they will pay less development contributions.

Development contributions collected for non-residential development will be used to fund infrastructure for water, wastewater, stormwater and roads. Development contributions collected for residential development will be used for the same, and also for solid waste and community infrastructure. Community infrastructure includes things like libraries, swimming pools and reserves.

The fees for one unit of demand are set out on page 12 of the Development Contributions Policy 2021 and are shown below.

Development contributions schedule

Appeals & Objections

In certain circumstances a person can appeal against development contributions. This can be escalated to an objections process. If you believe the Council has made an error in calculating a development contribution charge, a request for reconsideration must be made within 10 working days after the date on which the person lodging the request received notice of the development contribution required.

Please see clause 5.6 and 5.7 of the Development Contributions Policy 2021 for more information. 

If you wish to request a reconsideration of your assessed development contribution, please complete the online form.

Apply online