Scenery Car House

Hot Topics

COVID-19 Council Updates

Our services at Alert Level 1.

Service Request Online

Do you have a Council related problem that requires attention?

Kerbside Collections

Week 2 begins Monday 12 April 2021

Tell us what you think

Alice in Our Place | Nā Alice i tā mātou rohe

We Need To Talk

See the topics we're consulting on...

Tirohia Landfill Resource Consent

View information about this application.

New mining proposal

New Waihi mining proposal shared with Council

How much will I have to pay?

The amount of development contributions you would be required to pay will depend on the type of development you are undertaking.

The fees are set out in the development contributions policy of the financial year (1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021). The policy will be reviewed annually.

How are development contributions calculated?

We calculated the contributions by determining the capacity on the various infrastructure available for the next 30 years. Once calculated we divided the cost of growth-related capital expenditure in a specific area by the amount of growth anticipated in that area or across the town where the infrastructure exists (e.g. water plant capacity upgrades).

We have appointed a professional company to assist us with expected growth in the district.

Get in touch

To find out whether you are required to pay a development contribution on your project and get an estimate for the amount, contact the Development Engineer via email at  or 07 862 8609.

Below is an extract of fees (page 10 of policy).

Development Contributions schedule

What are development contributions used for?

We will use development contributions to help fund new or expand (increase capacity) infrastructure that has reached its capacity as a result of growth in the town.  The development contributions will only be applied to the infrastructure in that specific area where the infrastructure capacity was affected. For example, if development contributions were paid towards a new home being built in Waihi then that contribution would be used to upgrade the infrastructure in Waihi and not in any other town in the district. 

These contributions might also be for planned growth infrastructure (not built yet) or it can be for existing infrastructure.

The contribution is a one-off charge. Council cover operational and maintenance costs through rates and other charges.

Development contributions collected for non-residential development can be used to fund infrastructure for water, wastewater, stormwater and roads. Development contributions collected for residential development can be used for the same, and also for reserves and community infrastructure.

The following are some examples of new or expanded infrastructure that council could collect development contributions for:

Water  Trunk mains, reservoirs, treatment plants
 Wastewater  Local pipes, pump stations, trunk mains, storage
 Stormwater  Ponds, pipes, floodways, channels and associated land purchases for stormwater, roading-associated stormwater
 Transport  Local roads, walkways and cycleways and associated land purchases
 Reserves  Land purchases and development of local reserves (playgrounds, footpaths, landscaping etc.)
Community Infrastructure Libraries & swimming pools, event centres, sports fields, recreation reserves and public toilets

 No community infrastructure and solid waste management contributions will be payable on any commercial or industrial development.