Pre-hearing meetings held for proposed Kaimai wind farm
With the exception of a pre-hearing meeting with Iwi and others who submitted on Maori cultural values, Kaimai Windfarm Ltd has decided against its planned topic-based, pre-hearing meetings, having offered submitters one-on-one meetings about its proposed wind farm project instead.
Hearing in October, at the earliest
The company has also recently withdrawn its application for council approval to take its proposal directly to the Environment Court, which means there will now definitely be a council hearing. The combined Hauraki District and Waikato Regional Council hearing will be run by jointly appointed independent commissioners who will also make a decision on the project. At the earliest, the hearing will take place in October this year.
Applications lodged last year
Kaimai Windfarm Ltd lodged resource consent applications with Hauraki District Council and Waikato Regional Council in July last year, to establish and operate a wind farm on the northwestern area of the Kaimai Ranges. The proposed farm would have the capacity to provide an estimated 400GWH of power per annum to the national grid.
24 wind turbines proposed
The applications, which are being processed jointly by the two councils, cover the proposed construction of 24 large scale wind turbines over 1304 hectares near Rotokohu Road, south of Paeroa. Seven of the proposed turbines would be 180 metres high (to blade tip standing upright) and 17 of them would be 207 metres high. Other proposed structures include a substation, two lattice transmission towers, two overhead power lines, and 18km of on-site roading. An on-site quarry to supply material for the roads is also proposed. The applications also cover the removal of vegetation and earthworks associated with the construction phase of the project.
Submissions are now closed on Kaimai Windfarm Ltd’s proposed wind farm project.
Overall Hauraki District Council received 220 submissions on the proposal, of which 57 were in support and 157 were opposed to the idea. Waikato Regional Council submissions totalled 143, with 96 against and 42 in support of the proposal. Around 11 submissions were sitting on the fence without leaning one way or the other.
- Proposed Kaimai Wind Farm Resource Consent Consent Applications
- Public Notification
- Requests for Further information
- Resource Consent Applications
- Assessment of Affects (AEE)
- Summary Documents Prepared by Applicant
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Kaimai Wind Farm Ltd has lodged resource consent applications with Hauraki District Council and Waikato Regional Council for consent to establish and operate a 24 turbine wind farm on the north western area of the Kaimai Ranges, south of Paeroa.
The resource consent application to the Hauraki District Council seeks consent to all landuse activities associated with the construction and operation of the proposed wind farm.
The application site covers 771 and 604 Rotokohu Road and 6356 SH26 ( 1304 hectares).
Twenty four large scale wind turbines are proposed, 7 of them 180 metres high (to blade tip standing upright), and 17 of them 207 metres high.
Proposed associated structures include a substation, 2 lattice transmission towers, 2 overhead lines, and 18.9km of roading – all within the application site.
Earthworks will include 900,000m3 of cut material and 113,500m3 of engineered fill.
It is estimated that 53,000m3 of finishing aggregate will be needed for the on-site roads. This is proposed to be obtained from roading excavations and one on site quarry.
The main site access is proposed to be from the south- from Wright Road, which comes off Rawhiti Road – the turbine parts are proposed to be transported from Tauranga, through Matamata-Piako District to the site. All other construction and materials transport traffic is also proposed to access the site from Wright Road.
The resource consent application to the Waikato Regional Council seeks consent to specific aspects of land use – removal of vegetation, earthworks, to permit the discharge of surplus soil and surface water associated with the construction phase of the project and culvert upgrades.
View the public notice 28 Nov 2018 - Notice of Resource Consent Applications for Proposed Wind Farm
The 7 Iwi organisations which made submissions were invited to attend a pre-hearing meeting on 23 July.
Three of the Iwi requested that all submitters who had raised Maori cultural values in their submissions also be invited.
Despite the short notice 25 submitters, and representatives of submitters, attended.
As requested by the applicant, the applications have been made publicly notified - in the Piako Post and Waikato Times on 28 November 2018, Waihi Leader on 29 November 2018 and Hauraki Herald on 30 November 2018.
The submission period closed on Thursday 31 January 2019.
For further details see the public notice - Notice of Resource Consent Applications for Proposed Wind Farm
The documents below are available for viewing in Adobe Acrobat format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader , please visit www.adobe.com to download a free copy of the reader.
HDC - Further Information Requested [PDF, 179 KB]
- Landscape and Visual Affects (s.92) Review – Brown NZ Ltd [PDF, 325 KB]
- Ecological Review on Behalf of Waikato Regional Council – AECOM [PDF, 138 KB]
- Further Information Assessment Acoustal Consultancy – Acousafe Noise Control Solutions [PDF, 128 KB]
HDC - Further Information Response from the Applicant [PDF, 639 KB]
- Appendix 1: Acoustic Responses (Chiles Limited) [PDF, 116 KB]
- Appendix 2: Turbine Position Concept and Farm Airstrips (Manawatu Aerial Photo Services) [PDF, 4.1 MB]
- Appendix 3: Ecology S92 Response (Ecology NZ) [PDF, 762 KB]
- Appendix 3B: EIANZ Assessment Report (Ecology NZ) [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Appendix 4: Land Transportation report September 2018 (Tranzcarr Heavy Haulage) [PDF, 5.9 MB]
- Appendix 5: Landscape and Visual Effects (Mike Moore Landscape Architect) [PDF, 227 KB]
- Appendix 5B: Viewpoint B20 Modified [PDF, 197 KB]
- Appendix 6: Radio Interference Response (Peat Aviation) [PDF, 538 KB]
- Appendix 6B: Radio Interference Response (Lambda) [PDF, 502 KB]
- Appendix 7: Photos of Access Road Culverts [PDF, 9.6 MB]
- Appendix 8: WRPS and HDP Landscape Notations [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Appendix 9: Ngati Hako Summary of Key Issues [PDF, 123 KB]
- Appendix 10: Response to Traffic Matters (Gray Matter) [PDF, 546 KB]
- Appendix 11: Tektus Consultants Letter [PDF, 203 KB]
- Appendix 11B: Civil Drawings Revised October 2018 (Tektus Consultants)
(Please note these documents in Appendix 11B are identical as those linked from WRC 4B below)
- Appendix 11B pages 1-4 [PDF, 8.5 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 5-8 [PDF, 9.5 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 9-18 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 19-35 [PDF, 8.2 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 36-44 [PDF, 9.6 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 45-47 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 48-50 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 51-54 [PDF, 9 MB]
- Appendix 11B pages 55-65 [PDF, 4 MB]
WRC - Further Information Requested [PDF, 155 KB]
- Appendix 1 Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (Ridley Dunphy)
- Appendix 1 pages 1-48 [PDF, 8.9 MB]
- Appendix 1 pages 49-56 [PDF, 7.6 MB]
- Appendix 1 pages 57-68 [PDF, 3.5 MB]
- Appendix 1B ESC Memo (Ridley Dunphy) [PDF, 187 KB]
- Appendix 2 Geotech Response (KGA Geotechnical) [PDF, 8.3 MB]
- Appendix 3 Supplementary Culvert Assessment (Ecology NZ) [PDF, 8.1 MB]
- Appendix 4 Tektus letter [PDF, 238 KB]
- Appendix 4B Civil Drawings Revised Oct 2018 (Tektus Consultants)
- Appendix 4B pages 1-4 [PDF, 8.5 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 5-8 [PDF, 9.5 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 9-18 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 19-35 [PDF, 8.2 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 36-44 [PDF, 9.6 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 45-47 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 48-50 [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 51-54 [PDF, 9 MB]
- Appendix 4B pages 55-65 [PDF, 4 MB]
Covering letter to Hauraki District Council (HDC) [PDF, 99 KB]
Covering letter to Waikato Regional Council (WRC) [PDF, 99 KB]
Resource Consent Application - HDC Form 9 [PDF, 1.7 MB]
Resource Consent Application - WRC Forms A,B,C [PDF, 696 KB]
Kaimai Wind Farm Assessment of Environmental Effects [PDF, 8.6 MB]
Attachment A - Miscellaneous and Legal Documents
- Certificates of Title [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Written Approvals (still to come)
- Consultation Record [PDF, 265 KB]
- Consultation Information [PDF, 2.6 MB]
- Proposed Conditions of Consent (to be completed)
- Table of RMA Fourth Schedule compliance [PDF, 104 KB]
- Transpower High Level Review Report [PDF, 383 KB]
Attachment B – Technical Reports (some sections have been separated into parts due to the large file size)
- Archaeological [PDF, 1.9 MB] | Appendix A [PDF, 7.4 MB] | Appendix B - part 1 [PDF, 7.6 MB] | Appendix B - part 2 [PDF, 8.8 MB] | Appendix C - part 1 [PDF, 8.3 MB] | Appendix C - part 2 [PDF, 9.5 MB]
- Aviation [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Civil Peer Review [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- Construction [PDF, 6.3 MB]
- Ecology - Site [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- Ecology - Environs [PDF, 5.2 MB]
- Electricity Market [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Geotechnical [PDF, 7.6 MB] | Geotechnical Appendices 1 & 2 [PDF, 8.1 MB]
- Noise [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Turbine Transportation [PDF, 6.4 MB] Superseded by Appendix 4 - HDC - further information response from applicant
- Landscape [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Landscape Peer Review [PDF, 91 KB]
- Project Rationale [PDF, 3.8 MB]
- Radio Communications [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Shadow Flicker [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- Siltation [PDF, 1 MB]
- Stormwater - part 1 [PDF, 7.4 MB] | Stormwater - part 2 [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Tourism [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Traffic - part 1 [PDF, 6.1 MB] | Traffic - part 2 [PDF, 5.2 MB]
Attachment C – Miscellaneous Drawings
- Site Layout [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Dwellings within 2km [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Sub-Station Drawing [PDF, 363 KB]
- Farm Management Maps [PDF, 4.9 MB]
Attachment D – Civil Drawings Superseded by Civil drawings in Appendix 11B - HDC - further information response from applicant
- Civil Drawings [PDF, 122 KB]
- Drawing 200 - General arrangement plan [PDF, 6 MB]
- Drawing 200-01-02 - General arrangement plan detail plan sheet [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Drawing 200-03-04 - General arrangement plan detail plan sheet [PDF, 7.3 MB]
- Drawing 200-05 - General arrangement plan detail plan sheet [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- Drawing 200-06-07 - General arrangement plan detail plan sheet [PDF, 7.5 MB]
- Drawing 210-01-06 - Proposed turbine platforms [PDF, 7.1 MB]
- Drawing 210-07-12 - Proposed turbine platforms [PDF, 7.7 MB]
- Drawing 210-13-16 - Proposed turbine platforms [PDF, 6.7 MB]
- Drawing 210-17-20 - Proposed turbine platforms [PDF, 6.6 MB]
- Drawing 210-21-24 - Proposed turbine platforms [PDF, 5.4 MB]
- Drawing 211-1-3 - Proposed assembly areas [PDF, 4.1 MB]
- Drawing 212 - Proposed substation platform [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Attachment E – Photomontages
- Photomontages Index [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Viewpoint Maps
- Viewpoint B1 - Rotokohu Rd, Paeroa [PDF, 8.4 MB]
- Viewpoint B2 - Primrose Hill, Paeroa [PDF, 9.1 MB]
- Viewpoint B3 - Thames Rd (SH 26), Paeroa [PDF, 8.2 MB]
- Viewpoint B4 - Edwin Rd, Mackaytown [PDF, 6.8 MB]
- Viewpoint B5 - SH26, north of Te Aroha [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- Viewpoint B6 - SH2 near intersection with Pukahu Rd [PDF, 9.1 MB]
- Viewpoint B7 - SH2 near intersection with Hauraki Rd [PDF, 6.7 MB]
- Viewpoint B8 - SH26 north of Quarry Rd, Tirohia [PDF, 9 MB]
- Viewpoint B9 - Paeroa Tahuna Rd, south of Endowment Rd [PDF, 8.5 MB]
- Viewpoint B10 - Rawhiti Rd (north end) [PDF, 8.9 MB]
- Viewpoint B11 - Rawhiti Rd (south end) [PDF, 8.1 MB]
- Viewpoint B12 - No 1 Rd (north end) [PDF, 7.2 MB]
- Viewpoint B13 - Rotokohu Rd south of Thorp Rd [PDF, 9.3 MB]
- Viewpoint B14 - Thorp Rd [PDF, 9.4 MB]
- Viewpoint B15 - Hazard St, Waihi [PDF, 9 MB]
- Viewpoint B16 - Princes St near Abbott Rd, Waikino [PDF, 9.3 MB]
- Viewpoint B17 - SH2 near intersection with Campbell Rd [PDF, 9.2 MB]
- Viewpoint B18 - SH2 near intersection with Trig Rd [PDF, 7.3 MB]
- Viewpoint B19 - Kennedy Rd [PDF, 8.5 MB]
- Viewpoint B20 - Mt Karangahake Trig station [PDF, 5.8 MB]
- Viewpoint B21 - Dickey Flat Campsite [PDF, 3.1 MB]
- Overview Map [PDF, 7.6 MB]
- Closeup Map [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- Zone of Theoretical Visibility (ZTV) [PDF, 8.3 MB]
- Turbine Orthographic [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Photomontage Methodology [PDF, 609 KB]
- Landscape & Visual Effects
- Assessment of Environmental Effects Precis for Direct Notification [PDF, 93 KB]
- Assessment of Environmental Effects Summary Document [PDF, 9.1 MB]