The Crown Minerals Act 1991 And The Mining Act 1971
Notice Of Proposal To Vary Conditions Of Mining Licence 32 2388 (Martha Mine And Associated Works)
Pursuant to Section 103D of the Mining Act 1971, public notice is hereby given that the Hauraki District Council, Waikato Regional Council and the Minister of Energy and Resources (acting in their joint capacity as set out in clause 15 of sub-part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Crown Minerals Act 1991 and to the extent of their respective jurisdictions) propose to vary some of the conditions of Mining Licence 32 2388 (Martha Mine and associated surface works including the processing mill and tailings storage facilities) held over the land specified in the schedule and depicted in the plan below.
This proposal to vary Mining Licence 32 2388 is made in response to an application to vary some conditions received from the licence holder Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited. Following consideration of the licence holder’s application, Hauraki District Council, Waikato Regional Council and the Minister of Energy and Resources propose to vary the conditions of Mining Licence 32 2388 slightly differently to what Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited applied for. The key matters which are the subject of the Proposed Variation are as follows:
- Amend paragraph 1 to update the list of variations.
- Amend various sections and conditions to delete reference to Martha Exploration Project which will not proceed.
- Delete Conditions 5, 6, 7E and 10 relating to initial construction, as no longer required.
- Amend Conditions 9 relating to construction noise and 21 relating to operational noise, to replace outdated standards (for managing, measuring and assessing noise) with the current standards.
- Amend Condition 11 Dewatering to reflect updated tables and figures in the Dewatering and Settlement Plan.
- Delete Conditions 14 and 31 relating to Air Quality as being superseded by the existing Waikato Regional Council discharge to air resource consents.
- Amend Condition 20 Blasting and Vibration to replace outdated standards, make consistent with Hauraki District Plan, delete reference to outdated map and delete reference to Martha Exploration Project.
- Amend Condition 25 Landscape Plan to delete reference to initial planting requirements and replace with maintenance requirements.
- Delete Condition 32 Waste Rock Embankments and Tailing Ponds and Condition 45 Post Production as being superseded by the existing Waikato Regional Council consents for these.
- Amend Condition 38 Drainage to clarify its intent to avoid adverse effects beyond the pit perimeter.
- Amend Condition 47 Public Liability Insurance to ensure consistency with the Extended Martha Mine consent.
- Amend Annex A Condition 31 Waste Rock Mining, Condition 32 Rock Sizing and Conveying and Condition 42 Conveyor Route to allow for use of waste rock within the open pit.
- Amend Annex A Condition 37 Dewatering to reflect the current situation.
- Amend Figure 2.1 to update the indicative final pit.
- Delete Plan 4 Pipeline Corridor, Plan 9 Buffer Zone (outdated), Plan relating to Conditions 9(a), 10(e) and 20(g) and Plan dated 30/08/10 Newmont Waihi Gold Land Tenure at 27/08/10 as consequential to amendments to Conditions 7E, 7A(k), 9(a), 10(e) and 20(g).
- Administrative changes, corrections and necessary consequential amendments.
Copies of the following are available at the locations specified below:
- The application by Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited to vary some of the conditions (included as Appendix A of Staff Report);
- The Staff Report and recommendations provided to Hauraki District Council, Waikato Regional Council and the Minister of Energy and Resources (acting in their joint capacity as set out in section 108 of the Crown Minerals Act 1991) representatives appointed to consider the request by Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited; and
- The decision of the Hauraki District Council, Waikato Regional Council and the Minister of Energy and Resources appointed to consider the request by Oceana Gold (New Zealand) Limited.
- Objections Forms and relevant sections of the Mining Act 1971.
- Hauraki District Council’s website: View the Proposed Variation documents
- Hauraki District Council, William Street, Paeroa (8:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday)
- Hauraki District Council, Waihi Area Office, Rosemont Road, Waihi (8:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday)
- Waihi Library, Rosemont Road, Waihi (10:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Thursday, 9:30am to 5:30pm Friday and 9:30am to 12:30pm Saturday)
- Waikato Regional Council Office, 401 Grey Street, Hamilton East (8am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- The Office of the Inspector of Mines, (now Mines, Tunnels and Quarries Inspector, WorkSafe New Zealand) 533 Anglesea Street, Hamilton.
Any person or body specified in Sections 103E(2) and 126(2) of the Mining Act 1971 may object to the application by lodging a written objection in the prescribed form with the:
- Registrar, Environment Court, DX:CX10086, Auckland, or
- Registrar, Environment Court, PO Box 7147, Wellesley Street, Auckland 1010.
The final date for the lodging of objections is 3 February 2017. A copy of the objection shall be served on the applicant and on the Acting Secretary either before or immediately after it is lodged with the Registrar.
All that area of land situated in Blocks XV and XVI Ohinemuri Survey District, South Auckland Land District and as shown on plan S.O. 56888, lodged in the office of the Chief Surveyor at Hamilton as described in Mining Licence 32 2388 (being approximately 394.27 hectares) as shown on the plan below.
Enquiries relating to this application can be directed to: Marina van Steenbergen (Acting Secretary), Hauraki District Council, PO Box 17, Paeroa 3640, Phone 07 862 8609.
Hauraki District Council