Property Rates What They Pay For
Council sets two types of general rates - a
- Uniform Annual General Charge, and a
- Differential General Rate.
These rates are set district-wide and fund activities such as:
- solid waste disposal
- regulatory services
- sports fields
- swimming pools
- community growth
- community initiatives, and
- other sundry activities
More information can be found on the back of your first instalment of your rates invoice.
Uniform Annual Charge (UAC)
The UAC is a fixed charge per separately used or inhabited part (SUIP) of a rating unit within the Hauraki District.
Differential General Rates
Different rates apply depending on land use, e.g. a commercial property pays more than a residential property. The rate charged is based on the capital value of your property.
The categories are:
- Residential and Rural Land Use - all rating units used primarily for residential, recreational, cultural or primarily or predominately for the purposes of agriculture, viticulture, horticulture or silviculture.
- Commercial, Industrial and Utility Land Use - all rating units used for commercial or industrial purposes, including utility networks.
- Mineral Extraction Land Use - all mineral value rating units that are not used in gold mining.
- Mining Land Use - all mineral value rating units that are used in gold mining.
HDC sets targeted rates where the services provided are specific to a particular community or area within our District.
Targeted rates are for:
- Community facilities - For activities including: grants and donations, domains, halls, footpaths and street-cleaning, information and visitors' centres, reserves, as well as activities specific to a ward.
- Land drainage - Land drainage, and flood protection and control are key functions in the Hauraki Plains.
- Urban stormwater - The disposal of excess rainfall runoff from urban areas using drainage systems which include natural watercourses, man-made drains, open channels, reticulated pipe networks and other structures for accepting stormwater runoff.
- Wastewater - Collection, treatment and disposal of wastewater complies with the Public Health Standards and specific resource consent conditions, particularly those requiring the minimising of adverse effects on the receiving environment.
- Refuse collections - Refuse collection and kerbside recycling rates are based on your location and your level of service.
- Water supply – Fully targeted. See water rates.
For more information about these targeted rates view the Financial Impact Statement in the Annual Plan.
Rating Area Maps
The maps make it easy to see whether certain rates apply to your property. Targeted rates that apply to your property can be found on the back of your first instalment of your rates invoice.
Rating area maps are available for Community Halls, Drainage, Flood Protection, Pump Rates and Water.
Go to the rating area maps page